There are a lot of choices when it comes to your hair care. With endless rows of shampoos, conditioners, masks, oils and more at the store, it can be tough to make the right decision for your hair.
Although most people narrow down their choices based on which products offer benefits for their hair type, one thing more people should take into account is which products are all-natural or organic. Some people use natural hair products 100 percent of the time, while others wonder, “Is it really worth it? What does natural hair care offer that my normal products don’t?”
As it turns out, natural hair care can benefit everyone, regardless of hair type. Here are the major benefits of choosing natural hair care products.
- Less potential for damage: Traditional hair care products may contain a host of synthetic materials and chemicals, including sulfates and parabens. While most of these are designed to help your hair, some chemicals can have lasting effects on your hair’s health, causing damage over the long term. Natural hair care products don’t contain these chemicals and instead use a mixture of all-natural, hair-healthy ingredients that are designed to promote long-lasting hair health.
- Sustainable creation: Usually, organic hair products are produced using sustainable harvesting and production methods, which are better for the environment and for animals. On top of that, some products even use sustainable packaging to minimize the impact on the Earth after you are done with them.
- Reduced risk of irritation: Unnatural ingredients have been known to cause allergic reactions or irritations on the scalp because they can be harsh to the skin. Unless you have a specific allergy to a known ingredient, natural ingredients are generally much gentler on the skin and hair and come with a reduced risk of irritation for a healthier, happier scalp.
- Healthy hair and scalp: The chemicals in normal hair care products can have negative effects on your hair day to day. Most common among these side effects is dryness caused by alcohols and sulfates. When you make the switch to natural products, they will be designed to put carefully selected natural ingredients to work in the best ways, paving the way for a healthier scalp and healthier and better-looking hair. Additionally, natural ingredients can contain beneficial compounds like antioxidants or anti-inflammatories to help solve specific scalp problems like itchiness or free radicals.
- Better for the planet: Just as chemicals aren’t good for our hair, they aren’t good for our planet and the other living things that inhabit it. Every time you use a product that contains harmful chemicals, you wash those chemicals down the drain, and they can end up in the world’s watersheds and ecosystems, potentially causing lasting damage on the soil and to animals.
- Protect health overall: Additionally, chemicals are bad for our bodies. Putting harsh chemicals onto our scalps and rinsing them off in the shower exposes them to our entire bodies, which may have a negative impact on our overall health. Some common chemicals in hair products, such as parabens, have even been linked to an increased risk of cancer! Organic or natural hair care products won’t put your health at risk because all the ingredients are healthy and safe.
Finding the right natural products for you
Now that you know the benefits, the next step is to find the right natural hair care products for you. Unfortunately, this isn’t always easy, because some companies claim to use natural products but sneak in non-natural ingredients, as well.
When looking for natural products, take a close look at the ingredients list. Although some people think you shouldn’t use products that contain more than a handful of ingredients, more ingredients can be okay as long as you recognize their names and they are natural.
Look for shampoos and conditioners that use things like shea butter, honey, aloe vera, tea tree oil and coconut oil. These ingredients, in particular, are known for their hair-healthy properties like extra moisture, anti-inflammatory (for the scalp), shine and damage control.
It helps if you can find a company that sells natural products that has positive reviews and showcases its expertise about the hair care industry. These things can help you identify a company that produces high-quality products that will do what they are intended to.
Once you’ve found a good company that offers natural products, look through its product line to find products that meet your specific needs. For example, if you have dry hair, look for a conditioner that is ultra-moisturizing. If your hair is curly, you’ll want to look for curl- and frizz-control products. By now, many companies have extended their product lines to include a variety of natural products to meet many haircare needs.
Once you’ve found the perfect products, give them a shot and be patient—natural products can take a few extra weeks to show their effects, and your hair will need time to adjust to the new product and get rid of any lasting chemicals from your previous products. In time, you should be enjoying healthier hair, as well as a healthier body and planet!